Tuesday, January 17, 2017

About the Blog

I am an Interaction Design student from FH Joanneum in Graz. As a part of our study duties we have to make a blog, where we present a topic we would like to research and further explore. 
Since two years ago, when I visited a class about Web Accessibility, I am higly interested in this important, yet often neglected topic.  

Making websites accessible is nowadays quite an easy task, since there are already well described guidelines, which simply have to be followed. Despite that fact, there are still way too many websites that are completly inaccessible for people with dissabilities. I often questioned myself, why is inaccessibility so common and came do a conclusion, that the awareness is clearly insufficient.

In this blog I want to take a look at the situation in Austria in comparison to Slovenia, where I originally come from. I want to see what the most common problems are. I assume that the situation in Austria should be slightly better, since Austria adopted a web accessibility law, not only for the public sector but also private providers that came into effect on 1. 1. 2016. In Slovenia, such law is still awaited.

On the other hand I also want to point out the importance of web accesibility and explain what makes it so crucial. My ultimate wish would be to raise awarness among people, to improve web accessibility even slightly or to at least make people understand its importance. 

No comments:

Post a Comment